Monday, September 24, 2012

Color of an Era

My brother and I found a box in Grandma's basement.

It wasn't what was in the box that was extraordinary, it was the box itself.  There was a tres-1963 woman dressed in what my brother and I dubbed at once, "Lady Vanity Blue."  She was peering contentedly into a vanity of the same color.  

The shade is somewhere in the viscinity of these blues.  Dancing lazily in between Seafoam and Tiffany blue.  Lady Vanity Blue conjures an entire time period and if I concentrate long enough, almost a scent--old books from an old library.  An old motor on a still functional art deco sewing machine.  

And amidst planning my wedding, there it was, always quietly lingering in the creases of my brain.  

It became almost symbolic of my extremely delayed journey into actual Lady-hood.  Suddenly, I began caring about clothing and makeup.  Though I doubt I will ever veer this far into Lady Vanity.


Let the journey begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment